What Needs to be Done When Your Relationship Ends

  • by
  • 27 February 202029 June 2021
What Needs to be Done When Your Relationship Ends

What Needs to be Done When Your Relationship Ends

The end of a relationship is one of the most difficult times in any person’s life. Making the grief and trauma that accompanies this event even harder to deal with is the fact that many important life matters need to be decided.

Perhaps you owned property jointly with your ex-spouse, or have children together, or ran a business together. If you wish to effectively separate your lives and move forward, arrangements for all of these matters need to be made.

When the breakdown of a relationship is bitter and acrimonious, the two parties will often end up in court where a judge will be called on to decide matters such as division of property, parental responsibilities and spousal maintenance.

But for many people, it’s increasingly recognised that court is not always the best place to resolve these matters. The adversarial nature of legal proceedings, where each party’s lawyer presses hard for the best result for his or her client, can lead to a ‘winner-takes-all’ result and a hardening of enmity between the former partners. This is particularly damaging where children are involved.

More often nowadays, mediation and other forms of dispute resolution are the preferred means of working through the issues that need to be resolved after separation or divorce.

What are the key issues after separation or divorce?

Separation and divorce are not the same. A married couple who separate stop living together “as a couple”. They may even continue to live under one roof but if both understand that their relationship has ended, then it can be regarded that they have separated. No official notification need take place for this to happen.

After 12 months of separation, a couple can legally apply for a divorce, either as a sole applicant or jointly. If there are children from the marriage, you and your partner will need to show the court there are proper parenting arrangements in place before applying for a divorce. But applying for divorce does not necessarily mean that other important issues such as a property settlement, child support or spousal maintenance are finalised. These will need to be addressed separately, within certain time frames. This is where expert legal advice is particularly valuable.

Finalising the division of property, such as the family home and assets such as cars, as well as debts and superannuation interests, is often the most conflict-riddled aspect of ending a relationship. One party, for example, may wish to stay in the former family home and wants to buy out their ex-partner’s interest in the property. Other times the ex-couple may wish to sell the house and divide the proceeds. Whatever the situation, a property settlement needs to be made and this is where the mediation process can be most effective.

The benefits of mediation

Mediation involves both parties meeting in the presence of a neutral third party, the mediator, a qualified individual who helps both sides discuss and clarify the key issues between them and facilitate both parties negotiating a settlement.

Mediation is designed to avoid the winner/loser outcome often produced by the court process. Instead, by helping the former partners create their own agreement about how to divide the property from the relationship (as well as child-rearing arrangements, maintenance and other issues, if they wish), both parties get at least some of what they wanted. As long as both parties agree, each can have their legal representative present at the mediation to help them in conducting negotiations.

The chief benefits of mediation are that it is almost always quicker and cheaper than going to court; the process is private and confidential; and because the ex-partners create their own mutually satisfactory resolution, they can then carry on a civil and courteous relationship beyond the negotiations, a key consideration where children are involved.

The importance of legal advice

If mediation leads to a negotiated agreement between the two former partners, it can be documented by the mediator and filed with the court. The court can then use the agreement to make legally binding Consent Orders, formalising the agreement as one both parties will abide by.

Consulting with an experienced family lawyer through this process is the best course of action. They can organise a mediator, including liaising between the ex-partners and help you clarify the important issues that need to be worked through before negotiations begin. An expert family lawyer will also advise you on the various time limits applying to matters around divorce and property settlement.

The family law team at Big Law have the expertise and experience to help you through the difficult time after separation or divorce. We approach every case with compassion and sensitivity, with the aim of helping you and your ex-partner reach an agreement that works for everyone involved. Contact our Strathpine family lawyers by phone at 07 3112 7998 or email at [email protected] to schedule an appointment about resolving your family law matter today.

How We Can Help

Big Law Lawyers Strathpine offers you the same comprehensive suite of legal services that you would expect to only find in the city.

We are a successful well-established legal practice based in Strathpine, Brisbane. We have earned a reputation for providing trustworthy, practical legal advice to a diverse range of clients, in both Brisbane and regional Queensland.

Things to Read

Estate Planning for Blended Families

In this podcast, Estate Planning Lawyer Elise Jaques discusses factors and challenges that can arise in estate planning for blended families. Elise Jaques Solicitor Make an appointment

Buying a commercial property

Whilst the process of purchasing a commercial property is very similar in many respects to buying a residential property, there are a whole other set of matters to consider with this asset type.  The first issue to consider is what are your intentions or motivations for purchasing the property? Are you planning to run yourRead More »Buying a commercial property

Buying a manufactured home in an over 50s village

You may have reached the point in your life where you are sick of maintaining a large home and garden and would like to downsize. There are many options to consider, some of which are: Buying a small house or townhouse with a small yard; Buying in a retirement village which usually involves taking aRead More »Buying a manufactured home in an over 50s village

What is a reverse mortgage?

What do you do if you are over 60 without a regular source of income other than the pension as you have retired and find that you have to fund urgent renovations to your home? Or unexpected medical expenses? Or you would like to refinance high-interest credit card debt or other liabilities? As you areRead More »What is a reverse mortgage?

Podcasts to Listen to

Estate Planning for Blended Families

In this podcast, Estate Planning Lawyer Elise Jaques discusses factors and challenges that can arise in estate planning for blended families. Elise Jaques Solicitor Make an appointment

What Happens After You Sign an REIQ Contract?

In this podcast, Legal Practitioner Director Sylvia Lopez shares all the steps that follow after you sign a contract when buying or selling a property. Sylvia Lopez Legal Practitioner Director Make an appointment

What You Need to Know About Commercial Leases

In this podcast, Legal Practitioner Director Sylvia Lopez discusses the complex nature of commercial leases and agreements.  

Some very important estate planning roles you need to understand

When it comes to estate planning, it’s not uncommon for people to confuse a few very important roles. In this podcast, Estate Planning Solicitor Elise Jaques clears the differences among estate planning roles.